Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I'm sorry, but I like short games.

When a game takes under 8 hours to finish, most game reviewers will deduct points from the overall score of the game.  Personally, I kind of prefer a game to be short.  A lot of games are just too long for no reason, because they have you doing a lot of pointless things that aren't necessary or fun.  They'll have you searching for little things in the dark corners and you have to find like a hundred of them and you don't even get rewarded for finding all of them or you do, but it's a useless reward.  Most of the time, the only point for them to do this is to show you more of the details in the game that you might not pay attention to while playing through the main story.  They want you to know that they spent a lot of time on the small details of the games and the only way for you to notice is if they put a bottle or computer there for you to shoot, collect, or blow up.   Personally, I don't really care.   I can appreciate the details without doing these tedious tasks.

Can a fire truck really shoot water in any direction
while moving?
Very rarely, I will put in the time to collect junk or do all the side missions, because they make it actually fun to do so.  The only games that I remember caring about that stuff are Batman Arkham City and Grand Theft Auto San Andreas.  Why did I care in these games?  Because it was worth it.  I remember playing through the fire truck missions in San Andreas and the reward was that you become fireproof.  How sweet is that?  It was especially rewarding because the final mission of the game has you escaping out of a big burning building filled with dudes shooting at you.  It was hard enough to avoid the bullets, but avoiding the fire made the mission really damn hard.  So being fireproof made it much easier to finish the level and see the end of the game.  That was the only GTA that I was able to finish without just using the weapons and health cheat codes.   I've played every Grand Theft Auto game including the original ones for psx, ps2, gameboy advanced, psp and GTA4.  I think I the only other one that I finished was the first Grand Theft Auto 3.  I needed the weapons cheat because the last mission was a bitch if you didn't have a ton of bazooka rockets.   I appreciated that in San Andreas, you had to complete a side mission to enable the cheats, that way I didn't feel like I was completely cheating.  I earned the right to cheat because I finished the difficult firefighter mission. 
One of the coolest side missions I've witnessed.

In Arkham City, I played through all the side missions mainly out of curiosity.  The side missions were like mysteries that had you searching for clues to find out who murdered somebody or to save some hostages and I wanted to catch the culprits and see who they are or what they look like.

So what games did you spend the time to finish the game 100 percent?  Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment