Sunday, August 12, 2012

Doubtful about PS Vita


I bought a Playstation Vita about 6 months ago, 2 months after its release, with high hopes that it would be the ultimate handheld gaming device out there.  With its beautiful touch screen, nice button layout, and a ton of other cool mechanics, I thought it couldn’t go wrong.  Though there were not many titles out, the ones that did come out looked very promising.  I bought Uncharted and FIFA for it and was pretty pleased with the two games, but still yearning to see what amazing game were still in store for this gadget.  Currently, I’m out of job and need some extra cash to pay some bills.  I’m considering selling my Vita and not with great regret.  I’ve started to think that the potential that I saw in this device may be lost or not seen for a long time. 
I also own a PS3 and am constantly buying new games and trading in old ones if I can’t afford the new ones.  I’ve spent a ton of money on my PS3 games and have thoroughly enjoyed most of them and only disappointed by a select few.  I love buying games almost more than I do playing them.  There’s something about that fresh game smell and feeling you get opening up the plastic box, browsing through the instruction guide and putting it in the system for the first time. 
With that said, I’ve been desperately wanting to buy more Vita games, but there just haven’t been any new titles that attract me.  I never finished Uncharted and started to feel bored with the repetitive gameplay.  Fifa is fun, but I already have Fifa 12 for PS3 which is a superior game.  The only reason I need a Vita is to play games on the go, but I’m rarely on the go and when I am, I don’t really have time to play videogames.  I fear that the Vita won’t get many good games because I think game developers were scared off by the PSP’s ease of pirating.  Why spend a bunch of money when hackers will just figure out a way to pirate the game and make it downloadable online?  I know PSP games companies must have lost millions of dollars because of that.  I’m well aware that the Vita has much stronger security settings, but hackers are gonna hack. 
Another problem I’m seeing is that the Vita’s controls layout and front and back touch panels put too much pressure on the developers to make games that are exclusive to the Vita, but it’s pretty clear that most developers try their best to make their games playable on as many platforms as they can.  If they don’t adhere to the Vita’s control scheme and just make a direct port from another system and lazily add a few pointless touch screen controls, then the game critics will give low scores to the game and then no one will buy the game.  So far only a few Vita games have received decent scores, while the rest have been quite low.  I also think these crappy free games that people play on their phones are screwing with game developer's minds and they're thinking it might be better to make a simple crappy game for free than to spend a lot of time and money to make a good quality game that people have to spend a hunk of money on up front.
I’ve lost interest in my PS Vita altogether and am really considering selling it and going back to my PSP.  If Vita does make a miraculous comeback next year or something, I’ll think about buying it again when they make a smaller version or different color or something.  I’m sorry Sony.  I’m kind of a fanboy and usually think you can’t do any wrong and this is not really your fault, but I just can’t do this anymore.  We have to break up for a while.  I need to see other videogames.

No comments:

Post a Comment