Tuesday, August 21, 2012

First Person Shooter Overload




Have you ever spent so much time playing first person shooter games that you see cross hairs even after you turn off the game?  Every time I see a red barrel, I want to shoot it and make it explode so I can make everyone around it go flying with one shot.  Okay, I've never actually seen a red barrel outside anywhere ever.  Though I do see fire extinguishers and I'm pretty sure I could take out a few people by shooting that.  Right, I don't even own a gun.   Though if I owned a few guns and was able to carry them around, I wonder how fast I could switch guns or how fast I could actually reload.  In the games it's lightening fast.  Plus, I noticed when you reload before finishing a clip, the bullets leftover from the clip automatically get carried over to the next clip.  How do they do manage to take out the leftover bullets from the first clip, take out the same amount of bullets in the next clip and put in the bullets from the first clip all in like half a second.  That's incredible.  Another thing every FPS game does is put the gun off to the right side and it's aiming to the middle of the screen but actually it's aiming slightly to the left, so if an enemy is some distance away, you would probably miss him by several feet.

Stupid Taliban wearing a red scarf that doesn't blend in at all.
On facebook, I talked to one of my friends who's in the military in Afghanistan, about how realistic games are.  I was a little surprised about how much classified information he was willing to divulge to me, a civilian.  He told me what kind of guns he uses, how often he shoots at people, and how crappy the bad guys are at fighting.  The main difference he said between real life and movies is that it's really hard to run for a long time with all that gear on and they usually travel in big groups together, not just a few people like in games and movies.


Coke
Can you tell the difference between these 3 games?
Pepsi
I've been playing all the Call of Duty Modern Warfares, Battlefield 2 and 3, Medal of Honor, Sniper Elite V2, Ghost Recon, 007 Golden Eye Reloaded, Homefront, etc.  They're all becoming a blur.  When I think about them I find it a little difficult to remember which scenes were in which games.  I do admit my memory is kind of shit though.  Usually I try to finish the whole campaign mode because I feel slightly proud of my accomplishment and enjoy the story to some degree.  But with Battlefield 3 and Golden Eye Reloaded, I couldn't make it through.  There was just no motivation for me.  However, those were the two games that for the first time I decided to play on hard modes and for too many parts I had to play through more times than usual and I got frustrated.  I suppose I could lower the difficulty level and just finish the game, but I just don't have much desire to do it.  Is it because I'm growing out of games or these games just aren't innovative or creative enough to keep my attention anymore?  The more "realistic" these games get, the more similar they become.

Do the games all seem the same to you too?  Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment