Saturday, September 8, 2012

Game Guide Goodness, a.k.a. The Other GGG by Jordan Williams (my vidgam partner)


 
        
      I was at a bookstore the other day, and spotted just before leaving a guide to Diablo III.  I was sorely tempted to rip open the plastic covering (which by itself is one of the major reasons I rarely go into bookstores anymore) and plop down for the next hour and a half, delving into the new usable characters and what abilities they can develop as a result of slaying numerous hell-born monsters, yay.  And I would’ve been happy to do this even though the likelihood of me actually playing the game is minimal, because… Well, I don’t have a scientific explanation besides it makes my brain feel happy.  If you’ve got any snide comments, you can go to hell, and I’ll imagine my warrior avatar slaying you on my journey to defeat the demon king and gain experience points from your carcass.
      Good game guides have been of practical use in my life before.  When I was in junior high, Street Fighter II was all the rage (though I remember vaguely a fighting game called Streets of Rage), and people would line up in front of the arcades like they were on welfare.  Same expression too; you never saw anyone smiling while in queue to play, as if they were physically getting ready for a fight.  Being a introverted young boy with limited funds, I was quite intimidated, yet intrigued by this phenomenon.  And since one of my hobbies was to wander around stores and not buy anything, I happened to come across an “official” guide to playing SFII at a Tower Records (R.I.P.) one sunny weekend.  I assume the reaction that came across me upon seeing such an artifact was akin to the folks who discovered the Dead Sea Scrolls.
      At that point in time, I had perused some editions of Nintendo Power, a monthly magazine published by…Nintendo!  That was already a treat to view, and they did have some walkthroughs and strategies for some of the more popular games.  The guide for Street Fighter was a whole different animal, however.  There were detailed analyses of all the playable characters and bosses, which included move combinations and rankings.  Bar charts are hot, man.  I pored over the pages with manic intent, as if absorbing this knowledge would make me more of a man among other boys.  Armed and loaded, I now could enter arcades and liquor stores (and the occasional donut shop) with something resembling a sense of belonging, and be able to hold my own against slightly older teenagers, winning their respect and not getting beaten up and robbed.  It was the joy of just using one quarter and playing through the whole tournament against the computer opponents that really boosted my ego, drawing admiring looks occasionally from an onlooker or three, like I was defying a law of science.
      After returning from my childhood flashback, I stared at the new Diablo game guide for a moment, pondering its contents further.  I worried about the future of this particular industry, as people tend to play more simplistic games, i.e. Angry Birds, and such activities don’t exactly require detailed strategies and in-depth analysis.  It brought to my mind newspapers, also a dying breed of print.  For a moment, I thought about purchasing the Diablo guide just on principle alone, that I’m doing my part to keep this thing alive.  Then my senses came upon me, and I realized that I could probably download a copy somewhere over the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment